Whirlpool Jet Boat Tours
Reports to Operations Manager
Whirlpool Jet Boat Tours Overview:
We are a fast paced tourism organization that specializes in white water adventure jet boat tours of the lower Niagara River Gorge. Our operation is seasonal in nature, beginning in May and following through towards the end of October. Whirlpool Jet’s passengers include all ages. Our peak period is during the months of July and August when many tourists, from all over the world, flock to the Niagara region. We operate out of three unique locations – Niagara on the Lake, ON, Lewiston, NY and Niagara Falls, ON.
The successful Captain Trainee candidate will operate Transport Canada Inspected Passenger Vessels on the lower Niagara River departing from one of our three Jet Boat locations and in the Whirlpool Rapids in a manner that ensures the Safety and Security of the Crew, Enjoyment of our Passengers, and Respect for the Environment. Our Captains have heavy public contact; therefore we are looking for individuals who provide superb customer service. A flexible schedule is a must. Schedule includes evenings, weekends and holidays.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Ensure safety of passengers and crew at all times, including all aspects of passenger control.
- Daily mechanical maintenance and duties of assigned vessels.
- Logging of all trips and proper completion of all vessel maintenance checks.
- Ensure trip leaders are giving proper briefings as per TL manual. Captain must be knowledgeable and able to provide all briefings and orientations.
- Safely load and unload guests onto boats; physical assistance is required.
- Ensure proper fuelling of vessels prior to each departure.
- Assist with daily cleaning of vessels, scrub boats, seats, semi dry bags, docks and guest gear. Clean and store passenger river gear.
- Follow all company procedures in trip format and operations of vessels.
- Report any mechanical or operational deficiencies to Operations Managers.
- Act as a trip leader when required.
- Conduct training of trip leaders and assist in training of Captains as required.
- Other duties as assigned by the River Operations Manager.
Health and Safety Responsibilities:
- Understand and follow all company health and safety policies and procedures
- Responsible for the safety and well-being of 50+ guests per trip
- Passenger first aid if necessary
- Safety Management Systems (SMS)
- Ongoing training and develop as deemed necessary by operator to include swift water training
- Excellent oral communication – comfortable speaking in large groups and giving directions, Organizational skills with regard to use of time and controlling / moving large numbers of passengers onto / off vessels,
- Demonstrates above average Initiative
- Problem Solving and Self Control
- Punctual and respectful of time restraints and demands when serving large numbers of people
Physical Aspects of Position (include but are not limited to):
- Lifting Jet Boat hatches, heavy equipment used for jet boat operations
- Possibility of being outside during all types of weather
- High intensity and fast paced environment
- Several trips per day
- Clean and maintenance of vessels and facilities
Equipment Used on Job:
- Computerized reservation system
- Cleaning equipment
- Basic computer skills
- Good decision making ability
- General Diesel Machine Knowledge
- Mechanical aptitude
- Basic swimming skill sets
- White water skill sets an asset
Job Requirements:- Company will cover all costs of Certifications/Licenses and on water training. Company does not compensate for time at courses.
- Master Limited under 60 tons certification
- Minimum five (5) years of boat handling experience required
- Post-secondary education at an accredited maritime college or other institution preferred
- Restricted Radio Operator’s Certificate
- Marine Basic First Aid Certification
- MEDA2 Certification- Marine Emergency Duties
- Current (within previous two (2) years) Transport Canada approved medical
- Customer service experience is preferred
- Knowledge of shipboard maintenance software and Microsoft office applications a definite asset
I acknowledge that I have or that I will acquire, during my commencement of my employment, all certifications/accreditations that are required to enable me to competently fulfil my responsibilities as listed in the above job description and will keep all certifications up to date during my employment with Whirlpool Jet Boat Tours. I am aware that my hourly wage for said position is as follows; Training-$18/hr, Training with Full Certification-$19.25/hr, Full Pilot-(no supervision)-$22/hr
Contact: Garry Hierlihy | email@example.com
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org